[all][tc][uc] Uniting the TC and the UC

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Tue Feb 25 17:20:55 UTC 2020

Ghanshyam Mann wrote:
> [...]
> option 1 looks more feasible way but few question/feedback:
> - How we will execute the "designate 5 members from TC and select UC chair"?
>
> If by volunteer call from TC?
> I think this can lead to the current situation where very few members are interested to
> serve as UC.  I am afraid that we will get 5 volunteers and a chair.
>
> If by force?
> I do not think this is or should be an option :). But if then how we make sure the TC
> members are ok/good to handle the UC tasks on the non-technical side for example
> ambassador program.

The idea here is to satisfy the letter of the bylaws, not to build a
subteam.

The bylaws say the UC is a 5-member group, elected following a method
they decide on, by an electorate that they define. So one way to not
change the bylaws (while having a single election and a single group) is
to say that the UC electorate is the elected TC+UC members, have them
select 5 people, and address all questions with the whole group.

I suspect we'd choose the people with the most operations experience,
but it actually would not matter.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)