[neutron] Can br-ex and br-tun use the same interface?

Slawek Kaplonski skaplons at redhat.com
Tue Feb 18 12:55:29 UTC 2020

Hi,

Patch ports between br-int and all external bridges defined in bridge_mappings are created automatically by neutron-ovs-agent: https://github.com/openstack/neutron/blob/8ba44d672059e2dbea6a0516e5832cec40800a77/neutron/plugins/ml2/drivers/openvswitch/agent/ovs_neutron_agent.py#L1420

> you want to avoid a loop between the bridge so you dont want all bridge to be connected directly.
> they should all connect to br-int but not to each other.
>
> regarding the ip i alwasy just configruied it on the br-ex local bridge port
> so "ifconfig br-ex 192.168.100.42/24 up" or whatever you ip is.
> you can obviously do that with network manager or systemd network script too.
>
> just ensure whatever ip is set as the neutron local tunnel ip is assigned to the br-ex and
> your tunnel traffic will use that interface as long as the routing table identifs it as the correct
> interface.
>
> if you have two interface in the same subnet or your vxlan tunnel ips are on multiple subnets and are routed
> you need to make sure the metric/route pirortiy for the br-ex will be set correctly so that it is selected instead of
> other options.
>
> normally you wont have to do anything as your tunnel endpoint ips will come form a singel subnet and you wont have other
> interfaces in the same range i just mention that above incase you have a non standard deployment.
>>

>> --
>>
>> Thanks.
>> Zhengyu

>>> yes they can. the way this works wehn ovs encapsulates teh packet the vxlan tunnel endpoint ip is used to lookup
>>> what
>>> interface to transmit the packet on. so to use the same interface for both tunnels and provider networks you need
>>> to assign the tunnel endpoint ip to br-ex. ovs has a special operation at the dataplane level call out_port which is
>>> different form output. if ovs detects that the the source ip adress of the vxlan tunnel is assocaited with a bridge,
>>> in this case  br-ex and if that bridge is connect to the bridge with the tunnel port directly or indirectly via
>>> patch
>>> ports i it will use the out_port action to skip sending the packet via the kernel networking stack.
>>>
>>> so if you use use an interface that is attached to an ovs bridge it will actully imporve performance in general.
>>> that said adding the tunnel endpoint ip to the br-tun and adding an interface to br-tun used to crash ovs. i dont
>>> know
>>> if that was ever fixed but i would recommend not trying and just adding the tunnel enpoint ip to br-ex.
>>>
>>> not that this is the recommended way to deploy ovs-dpdk as if you dont add the tunnel endpoint ip to br-ex all
>>> packets
>>> that use vxlan will be sent via the kernel which will significantly reduce performance.
>>>
>>> im not sure if this works with hardwar offloaded ovs but i would consider it a bug if it did not.

—
Slawek Kaplonski
Senior software engineer
Red Hat