[oslo][release] oslo.limit mistakenly released as 1.0.0

Ben Nemec openstack at nemebean.com
Mon Feb 17 18:45:40 UTC 2020

Hi,

We seem to have created a bit of a problem with the latest oslo.limit
release. In keeping with our general policy of bumping the major version
when we release libraries without py2 support, oslo.limit got bumped to
1.0. Unfortunately, being a pre-1.0 library it should have only had the
minor version bumped.

This puts us in an awkward situation since the library is still under
heavy development and we expect the API will change, possibly multiple
times, before we're ready to commit to a stable API. We also need the
ability to continue doing releases during development so we can test the
library with consuming projects.

I can think of a few options, although I won't guarantee all of these
are even possible:

* Unpublish 1.0.0 and do further pre-1.0 development on a feature branch
cut from before we released 1.0.0. Once we're ready for "1.0", we merge
the feature branch to master and release it as 2.0.0.

* Stick a big disclaimer in the 1.0.0 docs that it is still under
development and proceed to treat 1.0 the same as we would have treated a
pre-1.0 library. Again, when ready for "1.0" we tag it 2.0.0.

* Make our breaking changes as needed and just continue bumping the
major version every release. This unfortunately makes it hard to
communicate via the version when the library is ready for use. :-/

* [some better idea that you suggest :-)]

Any input on the best way to handle this is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

-Ben