[goals][Drop Python 2.7 Support] Week R-13 Update (we are at deadline)

Akihiro Motoki amotoki at gmail.com
Mon Feb 17 08:19:53 UTC 2020

On Mon, Feb 17, 2020 at 1:02 PM Ghanshyam Mann <gmann at ghanshyammann.com> wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
>
> Below is the progress on "Drop Python 2.7 Support" at end of R-13 week.
>
> Schedule: https://governance.openstack.org/tc/goals/selected/ussuri/drop-py27.html#schedule
>

> Highlights:
> ========
> * Deadline was M-2 (R-13 week).
>
> * Things are breaking and being fixed daily.
>
> * Do not worry about the gate failure, it is better to break it now and fix so that we can smoothly release Ussuri.
>
> * Tempest has dropped the py2 and stop running the py2 jobs and so does devstack.
>
> * tempest-full job has been moved to py2 (it started running on py3 when devstack default to py3). This job is not supposed
> to run on master gate (except d-g which should keep running on py2 jobs). tempest-full-py3 is the py3 version of it. But few
> master jobs derived from tempest-full needs to either start using tempest-full-py3 or explicitly enable py3. I will be working
> on those next week.
>
> * Bugs & Status:  No open bugs as of now. Below is the status of last week's bugs.

There is another bug fixed. The release notes job in stable branches
was broken as the job is run against the master branch but it was run
with python 2.7.
The project-template in openstack-zuul-jobs was updated [1] and
build-openstack-releasenotes job now runs with python3 in all stable
branches.
If there are jobs in stable branches which runs using the master
branch, the similar change might be needed.
[1] https://review.opendev.org/#/c/706825/