[TC] W release naming

Nate Johnston nate.johnston at redhat.com
Wed Feb 12 17:56:43 UTC 2020

On Wed, Feb 12, 2020 at 12:57:41PM +0100, Jean-Philippe Evrard wrote:
> On Tue, 2020-02-11 at 17:39 +0100, Thierry Carrez wrote:
> > Personally I could see how 'Wodewick' could be perceived as a joke on
> > speech-impaired people
>
> I agree that at first sight this looks very bad. Which should be taken
> into consideration. However, an extra fact/trivia for Wodewick (for
> those who didn't know, like I was, as it's not mentioned on the wiki):
> Terry Jones (director of the movie) had himself rhotacism.
>
> So IMO, the presence of the (bad?) joke in the movie itself is a proof
> of Jones' openness.

One thing that the Internet - social media particularly but not exclusively -
does exceptionally well is to present ideas, concepts, or occurrences with all
of the surrounding context stripped away.  I think that the only way to be
successful is to select names that stand solid without any context and judged
from multiple cultural perspectives.

I personally object to Wuhan for this reason.  Even if we were to say that we
choose the name to honor the victims of this tragedy, that context would be
stripped away in the transmission and there would be plenty of people who would
come to the conclusion that we were making light of what is happening, or worse
that companies that build products based on OpenStack would be making profits
from that name.  These are terrible thoughts, for sure, but regrettably we have
to look at how people could percieve it, not how we mean it to be.

Nate