[infra][neutron] Removing networking-calico from OpenStack governance

Neil Jerram neil at tigera.io
Tue Feb 11 19:37:53 UTC 2020

On Tue, Feb 11, 2020 at 7:08 PM Sean Mooney <smooney at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2020-02-11 at 13:36 -0500, David Comay wrote:
> > Neil,
> >
> > > networking-calico is the code that integrates Project Calico [1] with
> > > Neutron.  It has been an OpenStack project for several years, but we,
> i.e.
> > > its developers [2], would like now to remove it from OpenStack
> governance
> > > and instead manage it like the other Project Calico projects under
> > > https://github.com/projectcalico/.
> >
> > My primary concern which isn't really governance would be around making
> > sure the components in `networking-calico` are kept in-sync with the
> parent
> > classes it inherits from Neutron itself. Is there a plan to keep these
> > in-sync together going forward?
> networking-calico should not be inheriting form neutron.
> netuon-lib is fine but the networking-* project should not import form
> neturon directly.

Right, mostly.  I think we still inherit from some DHCP agent code that
hasn't been lib-ified yet, but otherwise I think it's neutron-lib as you
say.  (It's difficult to be sure because our code is also written to work
with older versions when there was more neutron and less neutron-lib, but
that's an orthogonal point.)

Best wishes,
    Neil