[goals][Drop Python 2.7 Support] Week R-14 Update (1 week left to complete)

Ghanshyam Mann gmann at ghanshyammann.com
Sun Feb 9 22:55:47 UTC 2020

Hello Everyone,

Below is the progress on "Drop Python 2.7 Support" at end of R-14 week.

Schedule: https://governance.openstack.org/tc/goals/selected/ussuri/drop-py27.html#schedule

Highlights:
========
* 1 week left to finish the work.

* This week was very dramatic and full of failure as expected or more than that :).
** With that, I am expecting more issues to occur, dropping py2 from every repo asap is suggested so that we can stabilize the things well before m-3.

* Do not worry about the gate failure, it is better to break it now and fix so that we can smoothly release Ussuri.

*  Oslo dropped the py2, which caused multiple failures on 1. tempest testing on stable branches 2. projects still running py2 jobs on the master.
** we did not opt to cap the oslo lib for <py3.6 and decided to fix the issue instead.
**1. Tempest testing is fixed and stable branches gate is green now.
**2. TripleO was one project that failed for this and py2 jobs are dropped now.  If any project facing the same issue and waiting for some
general fix, need to drop py2 job asap.

* Bugs & Issues:

** Stable/ocata|pike|queens|rocky gate is up now. u-c issue on pinned Tempest is resolved now[1]
*** http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-discuss/2020-February/012462.html

** Nova stable branches are still falling for the u-c reason on nova-live-migration. Fixes are up[2]

* * Tempest tox 'all-plugin' usage issue[3]
*** designate stable branches fixes are up. If any project job faces the same issue, you can apply the same fix.[4]

** neutron-vpass in-tree plugin issue
*** slaweq, amotoki and I are discussing the best possible fix.

NOTE: I know few py2.7 drop patches are failing on few projects, I will continue debugging those. Help from the failing project will be greatly appreciated to meet the deadline.

Project wise status and need reviews:
============================
Phase-1 status:
The OpenStack services have not merged the py2 drop patches:
NOTE: This was supposed to be completed by milestone-1 (Dec 13th, 19).

* Adjutant
* Masakari
* Qinling

Phase-2 status:
This is ongoing work and I think most of the repo have patches up to review.
Try to review them on priority. If any query and I missed to respond on review, feel free to ping me
in irc.

* Open review: https://review.opendev.org/#/q/topic:drop-py27-support+status:open

How you can help:
- Review the patches. Push the patches if I missed any repo.

[1] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-discuss/2020-February/012463.html
[2] https://review.opendev.org/#/q/I8190f93e0a754fa59ed848a3a230d1ef63a06abc
[3] https://bugs.launchpad.net/tempest/+bug/1862240
[4] https://review.opendev.org/#/q/topic:bug/1862240+(status:open+OR+status:merged)