Migration to Openstack from Proxmox

Erik McCormick emccormick at cirrusseven.com
Tue Feb 4 14:27:48 UTC 2020

+list again :)

On Tue, Feb 4, 2020, 8:46 AM <jmacer at 42iso.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the reply.
>
> So if I understand you, swift is not an acceptable storage solution to
> couple with OpenStack? I also think that I missed something in your first
> paragraph "whereas you may be used concept being native in Proxmox." Are
> you talking about how Proxmox has the local storage on the server AND the
> NFS storage?

Swift is an Openstack project so sure it's good to use with Openstack or
even on it's own. It is Object Storage (like AWS S3). If you want volumes
you'll want some other system like Ceph, some NFS server, etc. Proxmox is
capable of deploying Ceph and that's what I was referring to.

> All of our VM's are the standard VM. We do have a few "templates" but
> those are not really anything special. I do have quite a few images
> pre-built, so that is my biggest concern with a migration.

You can easily import those images into Glance (Openstack image
service);and then launch instances using them.

> I know, just from looking at the docs/videos out there that OpenStack is
> definitely more akin to AWS than it is ProxMox, but would you say it is
> worth it from a manage a multi-location hardware environment to switch to
> OpenStack from proxmox?

This is mainly a matter of your use case. Openstack is complex; more
complex than Proxmox by quite a bit. It is also extremely powerful and has
many projects to provide lots of cloudy services. Many of those services
are analogous to ones found in AWS and other public clouds.

It is well suited to orchestrate large numbers of instances, volumes,
networks, etc. across many hypervisors,

Proxmox, as far as I recall, is more of a straight virtualization platform.
I also recall it being fairly simple and reliable. If it meets your needs,
don't complicate your life.

You may want to sign up for a trial at an Openstack-based public cloud
provider to get familiar with the functionality before committing to
building your own. You can find a list here:

https://www.openstack.org/passport/

Cheers,
Erik

Thanks!