[nova] PCI hotplugging

Marcin Juszkiewicz marcin.juszkiewicz at linaro.org
Thu Dec 17 16:09:50 UTC 2020

W dniu 17.12.2020 o 15:56, Mauricio Tavares pisze:
> As some of you know, libvirt supports PCI hotplugging[1]. How would
> that work using nova (or, if there is a better way, I am all ears)?
>
> [1]https://www.libvirt.org/pci-hotplug.html

It just works. Each network interface you add to your VM instance is
extra PCI(e) card. Each USB controller and/or other PCI(e) device.

If you use Q35 on x86(-64) or you use AArch64 then you use PCI Express
instead of plain PCI. Then it gets a bit more complicated but still
manageable.

I have a two blog posts [2] [3] about it from time I worked on getting
it working on AArch64 architecture.

2.
https://marcin.juszkiewicz.com.pl/2018/02/01/everyone-loves-90s-pc-hardware/

3. https://marcin.juszkiewicz.com.pl/2018/02/19/hotplug-in-vm-easy-to-say/