[cinder] NVMe-oF with TCP transport protocol

Gorka Eguileor geguileo at redhat.com
Thu Dec 17 12:49:46 UTC 2020

On 17/12, ʂʍɒρƞįł Ҟưȴķɒʁʉɨ wrote:
> hello cinder team,
>
> I wanted to know if we have support for NVMEoF with TCP transport
> between servers and the target? Any documentation/reference would be
> appreciated.
>
> Best Regards,
> Swapnil Kulkarni
> irc : coolsvap
> coolsvap at gmail dot com

Hi,

As far as I know both Cinder's target [1] and OS-Brick's connector [2]
support TCP/IP transport, but I have never tested it.

What I'm not too sure about is how thorough the testing of the NVMe-oF
code in OpenStack really is, since it's not currently flushing the
buffers on disconnect [3], and recently found out that it's unlikely to
work with encrypted volumes (because it's returning a real device and
not a symlink).

These 2 bugs should be easy to fix, but both time and the appropriate
hardware is required to validate it.

Cheers,
Gorka.

[1]: https://github.com/openstack/cinder/blob/5c620c6232f8444c1a55424363149920a8f67699/cinder/volume/targets/nvmeof.py#L72