[E] [ironic] Securing physical hosts in hostile environments

Eric K. Miller emiller at genesishosting.com
Wed Dec 16 17:30:58 UTC 2020

> I've attempted to secure physical hardware at a previous job. The primary tools we used were vendor relationships and extensive testing. There's no silver bullet to getting hardware safe against a "root" user.
>
> Not trying to give an unhelpful answer; but outside of the groups that Jeremy linked, there's been very little innovation enabling you to secure  your hardware,  unless you work directly with a vendor (and have the buying power to make them listen).
> -
> Jay Faulkner

Thanks Jay!  I suspected as much.  It does seem that there is likely a big market for this - an out-of-band device/PCI card that can assist with initiating re-flashing, power management (outside of the switchable power supplies), and jumper changes.  I was a bit shocked that it didn't exist.  I thought SMC would have built something like this into their SuperBlade systems, but their chassis-level BMC reset functions simply use the network to connect to the blades' BMCs, which isn't too helpful when the user changes the IP address of the BMC…  ugh.

Eric