tox -e pep8

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Wed Dec 16 17:16:31 UTC 2020

On 2020-12-16 10:53:22 -0600 (-0600), Ben Nemec wrote:
> On 12/5/20 1:39 AM, Sorin Sbarnea wrote:
> > My impression was that the newer recommended tox environment was
> > “linters’ and it would decouple the implementation from the process
> > name, making easy for each project too adapt their linters based on
> > their needs.
> >
> > A grep on codesearch could show how popular is each.
> >
> > I think that one of the reasons many projects were not converted is
> > because job is defined by a shared template and making a bulk transition
> > requires a lot of effort.
>
> We stopped moving to "linters" because the PTI explicitly called for a
> "pep8" target. Since that still appears to be the case[0] it would require a
> governance change to stop using pep8. At least for Python projects.
>
> 0: https://governance.openstack.org/tc/reference/pti/python.html

A project could of course have both if they wanted, the PTI doesn't
prohibit that. If tox provided a feature to alias testenv names then
it would be fairly trivial to maintain, though a testenv:pep8 can
still explicitly inherit each individual option from the
testenv:linters section (yes it is sort of ugly).

I personally have little concern for what we call it as long as we
keep consistent between projects, but changing this across every
project does seem like a bit of unwarranted additional work for
everyone.
--
Jeremy Stanley