[stable][requirements][neutron] Capping pip in stable branches or not

Bernard Cafarelli bcafarel at redhat.com
Mon Dec 14 14:16:43 UTC 2020

Top-posting to recap all the interesting answers and answer my initial mail.

The overall feeling I get is that even with the changes that may be needed
to satisfy the new resolver, we should be fine to apply these to stable
branches:
* lower-constraints was discussed a lot, this is where largest changes were
spotted but they are OK given the current use/effectiveness of these jobs
(or maybe even dropped soon)
* linters can be extracted from test-requirements, to limit linters version
bumps. I had quickly tried that for the neutron fix and it had failed in
some other job, but I will take another look in a separate patch. Then if
needed this change can be squashed with pip requirements fixes in stable
branches.
* For some recent branches (victoria for example), style fixes are small so
this can be just cherry-picked from master to have a working branch
* Other requirements bumps should be OK as they actually indicate the
proper needed versions now
* If we ever hit a change (old third-pary dependency) that cannot be fixed
without going over upper-constraints, then we may have to cap pip.
Hopefully, this will not be hit.
* https://review.opendev.org/q/I8f24b839bf42e2fb9803dc7df3a30ae20cf264eb
fix for bandit 1.6.3 may help to limit the impact (I did not retest yet)

If all of this sounds good, then I guess it will be time to play
whack-a-stable-mole

On Mon, 14 Dec 2020 at 14:03, Dmitry Tantsur <dtantsur at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 13, 2020 at 5:36 PM Jeremy Stanley <fungi at yuggoth.org> wrote:

>> > Wouldn't this mean tracking requirements into two different kind
>> > of places:the main requirements.txt file, which is still going to
>> > be needed even for tests, and the tox environment definitions?
>>
>> Technically we already do. The requirements.txt file contains actual
>> runtime Python dependencies of the software (technically
>> setup_requires in Setuptools parlance). Then we have this vague
>> test-requirements.txt file which installs everything under the sun
>> a test might want, including the kitchen sink. Tox doesn't reuse one
>> virtualenv for multiple testenv definitions, it creates a separate
>> one for each, so for example...
>>
>> In the nova repo, if you `tox -e bandit` or `tox -e pep8` it's going
>> to install coverage, psycopg2, PyMySQL, requests,
>> python-barbicanclient, python-ironicclient, and a whole host of
>> other stuff, including the entire transitive dependency set for
>> everything in there, rather than just the one tool it needs to run.
>> I can't even run the pep8 testenv locally because to do that I
>> apparently need a Python package named zVMCloudConnector which wants
>> root access to create files like
>> /lib/systemd/system/sdkserver.service and
>> /etc/sudoers.d/sudoers-zvmsdk and /var/lib/zvmsdk/* and
>> /etc/zvmsdk/* in my system. WHAT?!? Do nova's developers actually
>> ever run any of this themselves?
>>
>> Okay, so that one's actually in requirements.txt (might be a good
>> candidate for a separate extras in the setup.cfg instead), but
>> seriously, it's trying to install 182 packages (present count on
>> master) just to do a "quick" style check, and the resulting .tox
>> created from that is 319MB in size. How is that in any way sane? If
>> I tweak the testenv:pep8 definition in tox.ini to set
>> deps=flake8,hacking,mypy and and usedevelop=False, and set
>> skipsdist=True in the general tox section, it installs a total of 9
>> packages for a 36MB .tox directory. It's an extreme example, sure,
>> but remember this is also happening in CI for each patch uploaded,
>> and this setup cost is incurred every time in that context.
>>

> Thanks for the hint btw, I'll apply it to our repos.

I will have to check that too, making these jobs lighter for CI is always
nice!

--
Bernard Cafarelli