[TC][all] X Release name polling

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Thu Dec 10 20:32:45 UTC 2020

On 2020-12-10 18:35:47 +0000 (+0000), Sean Mooney wrote:
[...]
> wait i tough that we still had a comuntiy poll where every one
> could vote on the name is that coming next? i was waitign for a
> vote link.
[...]

The current process can be found here:

    https://governance.openstack.org/tc/reference/release-naming.html

This is the same process used for the "W" cycle (which selected
Wallaby). The change in process came at the end of a lengthy and
heated debate of various potential replacement processes, and was
implemented with https://review.opendev.org/695071 which merged a
year ago tomorrow.

I won't attempt to summarize the challenges and issues here, but the
primary reason to change it was that the TC had a hard time sticking
to the previous process for a variety of reasons.
--
Jeremy Stanley