[all][stable] bandit 1.6.3 drops py2 support

Bernard Cafarelli bcafarel at redhat.com
Thu Dec 10 14:42:13 UTC 2020

On Wed, 9 Dec 2020 at 16:46, Lee Yarwood <lyarwood at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 09-12-20 14:40:06, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> > On 2020-12-09 13:59:04 +0000 (+0000), Lee Yarwood wrote:
> > > Hello all,
> > >
> > > $subject [1][2] is breaking various <= stable/train jobs where we
> > > attempt to pull bandit in while still using py2. This has been reported
> > > upstream and it looks like the 1.6.3 release may end up being yanked.
> > >
> > > If it isn't I've proposed the following requirements change to try to
> > > cap bandit to the 1.6.2 release, assuming this is safe to do on stable:
> > >
> > > Cap bandit at 1.6.2 when using py2
> > > https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/requirements/+/766170
> > [...]
> >
> > It's typically recommended to pin static analysis tools strictly
> > less than the next major release in (test-)requirements lists of
> > individual projects. Part of why it's blacklisted in the global
> > requirements repository is so that the central upper-constraints.txt
> > won't override project level decisions on what versions of these
> > tools to run. Granted, it would also have made more sense if bandit
> > uprevved to 2.0.0 when dropping Python 2.x support, so that
> > in-project requirements in the form bandit<2 could have prevented
> > the impact. But all that's to say, pinning bandit in stable branches
> > of individual projects using it would be the more expected fix here.
>
> ACK thanks Jeremy, I had started that below before going back to an
> earlier attempt with requirements. I'll reopen these now and test things
> in the Nova change.
>
> https://review.opendev.org/q/topic:bug/1907438
>
> This may get complicated to sort out, checking neutron cap [1], it failed
in grenade job when checking out bandit per swift requirements.
So it seems this one will need to be backported from the oldest affected
stable to train, with some "correct order" on packages - though if we need
it on 2 packages at same time to pass gates it may need overall capping?

[1] https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/neutron/+/766218

--
Bernard Cafarelli