[ironic] : Third-party ML2 plugins for Openstack ironic with virtual networks

Julia Kreger juliaashleykreger at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 16:42:49 UTC 2020

Greetings Fred,

Good to hear from you!

I've not heard of anyone using the Mellanox ML2 driver, but it does
seem to have VNIC_BAREMETAL support. I have heard some people use the
Arista ML2 driver, but haven't really gotten any feedback as of
recent.

Most operators I speak to have wound up using
networking-generic-switch and in some cases even contributing back to
it. This is what we use for testing, and while the documentation says
not for production use, people do seem to use it for such and seem to
be generally happy with it from the feedback I've gotten over the last
couple of years.

Speaking of flat network size, you may also want to explore using
conductor groups to possibly consider delineating pools of conductors,
which could also increase your operational security if your spanning
beyond a single facility. Then again, you may already be doing that.
:)

Let us know if you have any other questions we can assist with.

-Julia