[ops][nova][designate] Does anyone rely on fully-qualified instance names?

Sylvain Bauza sbauza at redhat.com
Fri Dec 4 08:20:16 UTC 2020

To be clear, I think there are confusions in between three names :
#1 the instance display name
#2 the /etc/hostname
#3 the related /etc/hosts name

For #1, having a FQDN [1] is OK. Also, as it's an API field, we can't
change it or it would need a new microversion.
For #2, as Jeremy said, in general you just have the short instance name,
not the whole FQDN, so I think it's totally fine to strip the name after
the first period (and AFAICT, that's why you see the short name already as
the OS cuts it already)
For #3, you can *either* have short names or FQDNs but given we see
problems with Designate, I'd be telling that we should also strip the name
instead of having the whole FQDN, as anyway the domain is not verified by
Nova.

-Sylvain

[1] By FQDN, I mean a name like "instance.tld" where "tld" is
"domain[\..*]+"