[neutron] default(ish) firewall rules

Vladimir Prokofev v at prokofev.me
Thu Dec 3 12:47:48 UTC 2020

Hello.

I'm running Queens private cloud with few separate projects inside. Guests
in those projects have 2 networks - public, which is a provider
network with public IP addresses, and private which is a VXLAN overlay
network specific to the project.

That's the setup, now here's the issue.
They're mostly Windows guests there, and they tend to have browser service
enabled on both public and private networks. This leads to situations where
guests from one project can see guests in other projects over a public
network via NetBIOS/SMB protocols, which is undesirable.

I have two partial solutions in mind.
Create some default firewall rule, similar to that exists by default for
DHCP protocol that prohibit guests to act as DHCP server, but for UDP
137-139 port range.
But not only I completely forgot how to do this(I think I saw some
documentation about it ~2 years ago), but this will also block said
protocol over private networks too, which is not an ideal solution. I would
still love it if someone could point me to a proper documentation here.
Second option is to add similar entries to security group rules. This will
allow public/private interface differentiation by applying different
security group to different interfaces, but introduces the possibility for
cloud operator to delete those entries(either by mistake, or explicitly)
which will lead to protocol being allowed once again.

Anyone has any idea of a better solution here?