device compatibility interface for live migration with assigned devices

Yan Zhao yan.y.zhao at intel.com
Mon Aug 31 02:23:38 UTC 2020

On Fri, Aug 28, 2020 at 03:47:41PM +0200, Cornelia Huck wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Aug 2020 14:41:17 +0800
> Yan Zhao <yan.y.zhao at intel.com> wrote:
>
> > previously, we want to regard the two mdevs created with dsa-1dwq x 30 and
> > dsa-2dwq x 15 as compatible, because the two mdevs consist equal resources.
> >
> > But, as it's a burden to upper layer, we agree that if this condition
> > happens, we still treat the two as incompatible.
> >
> > To fix it, either the driver should expose dsa-1dwq only, or the target
> > dsa-2dwq needs to be destroyed and reallocated via dsa-1dwq x 30.
>
> AFAIU, these are mdev types, aren't they? So, basically, any management
> software needs to take care to use the matching mdev type on the target
> system for device creation?
dsa-1dwq is the mdev type.
there's no dsa-2dwq yet. and I think no dsa-2dwq should be provided in
future according to our discussion.

GVT currently does not support aggregator also.
how to add the the aggregator attribute is currently uder discussion,
and up to now it is recommended to be a vendor specific attributes.

https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/intel-gvt-dev/2020-July/006854.html.

Thanks
Yan