Do you want to render ANSI in Zuul console?

Sorin Sbarnea ssbarnea at redhat.com
Thu Aug 27 20:56:27 UTC 2020

This does not make much sense to me as it sounds as: Lets convert all the images to B&W because it takes less space on disk and tell user to use JS based AI to recolor to them.

Displaying ANSI does not mean colorize my logs, has nothing to do with it.

Displaying ANSI is about respecting the output produced by the executed tools.

Zuul should respect the output received on stderr/stdout and display it like a console/ terminal.  If the job author decides to use ANSI or not is up to them.

Still, Zuul itself as product should just render ANSI content, mainly because I do not see any use-case where someone would want to render that text as RAW, as we all know ANSI escapes do not add any value to the user.

Still, if  the ability to display raw text, without ansi conversion is a real need, I could spend few more hours to implement it and add a preference option. Still,  think twice before asking for a feature that adds some code complexity and may not prove to be of real practical use. We all know that the raw text is still available inside the big json file in case someone has doubs regarding what was rendered may be wrong.