[ironic][tripleo] RFC: deprecate the iSCSI deploy interface?

Dmitry Tantsur dtantsur at redhat.com
Mon Aug 24 08:32:57 UTC 2020

Hi,

On Mon, Aug 24, 2020 at 10:24 AM Arne Wiebalck <arne.wiebalck at cern.ch>
wrote:

> Hi!
>
> CERN's deployment is using the iscsi deploy interface since we started
> with Ironic a couple of years ago (and we installed around 5000 nodes
> with it by now). The reason we chose it at the time was simplicity: we
> did not (and still do not) have a Swift backend to Glance, and the iscsi
> interface provided a straightforward alternative.
>
> While we have not seen obscure bugs/issues with it, I can certainly back
> the scalability issues mentioned by Dmitry: the tunneling of the images
> through the controllers can create issues when deploying hundreds of
> nodes at the same time. The security of the iscsi interface is less of a
> concern in our specific environment.
>
> So, why did we not move to direct (yet)? In addition to the lack of
> Swift, mostly since iscsi works for us and the scalability issues were
> not that much of a burning problem ... so we focused on other things :)
>
> Here are some thoughts/suggestions for this discussion:
>
> How would 'direct' work with other Glance backends (like Ceph/RBD in our
> case)? If using direct requires to duplicate images from Glance to
> Ironic (or somewhere else) to be served, I think this would be an
> argument against deprecating iscsi.

With image_download_source=http ironic will download the image to the
conductor to be able serve it to the node. Which is exactly what the iscsi
is doing, so not much of a change for you (except for s/iSCSI/HTTP/ as a
means of serving the image).

Would it be an option for you to test direct deploy with
image_download_source=http?

> Equally, if this would require to completely move the Glance backend to
> something else, like from RBD to RadosGW, I would not expect happy
> operators. (Does anyone know if RadosGW could even replace Swift for
> this specific use case?)

AFAIK ironic works with RadosGW, we have some support code for it.

> Do we have numbers on how many deployments use iscsi vs direct? If many
> rely on iscsi, I would also suggest to establish a migration guide for
> operators on how to move from iscsi to direct, for the various configs.
> Recent versions of Glance support multiple backends, so a migration path
> may be to add a new (direct compatible) backend for new images.

I don't have any numbers, but a migration guide is a must in any case.

I expect most TripleO consumers to use the iscsi deploy, but only because
it's the default. Their Edge solution uses the direct deploy. I've polled a
few operators I know, they all (except for you, obviously :) seem to use
the direct deploy. Metal3 uses direct deploy.

Dmitry