[Kolla Ansible] host maintenance

Mark Goddard mark at stackhpc.com
Mon Aug 24 07:46:13 UTC 2020

On Sat, 22 Aug 2020 at 01:10, Eric K. Miller <emiller at genesishosting.com> wrote:

> > Actually, in my case, the setup is originally deploy by
> > Kolla Ansible. Other than the initial deployment, I am
> > looking for using Kolla Ansible for maintenance operations.
> > What I am looking for, eg. replace a host, can surely be
> > done by manual steps or customized script. I'd like to know
> > if they are automated by Kolla Ansible.
>
> We do this often by simply using the "limit" flag in Kolla Ansible to only include the controllers and new compute node (after adding the compute node to the multinode.ini file).  Specify "reconfigure" for the action, and not "install".

We need some better docs around this, and I think they will be added
soon. Some things to watch out for:

* if adding a new controller, ensure that if using --limit, all
controllers are included and do not use serial mode
* if removing a controller, reconfigure other controllers to update
the RabbitMQ & Galera cluster nodes etc.