[tripleo][ci] container pulls failing

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Wed Aug 19 14:53:52 UTC 2020

On 2020-08-19 15:40:08 +0200 (+0200), Cédric Jeanneret wrote:
> On 8/19/20 3:23 PM, Alex Schultz wrote:
[...]
> > 1) stop using mirrors (not ideal but likely makes this go away).
> > Alternatively switch stable branches off the mirrors due to a reduced
> > number of executions and leave mirrors configured on master only (or
> > vice versa).
>
> might be good, but it might lead to some other issues - docker might
> want to rate-limit on container owner. I wouldn't be surprised if they
> go that way in the future. Could be OK as a first "unlocking step".
[...]

Be aware that there is another side effect: right now the images are
being served from a cache within the same environment as the test
nodes, and instead your jobs will begin fetching them over the
Internet. This may mean longer average job run time, and a higher
percentage of download failures due to network hiccups (whether
these will be of a greater frequency than the API rate limit
blocking, it's hard to guess). It also necessarily means
significantly more bandwidth utilization for our resource donors,
particularly as TripleO consumes far more job resources than any
other project already.

I wonder if there's a middle ground: finding a way to use the cache
for fetching images, but connecting straight to Dockerhub when
you're querying metadata? It sounds like the metadata requests
represent a majority of the actual Dockerhub API calls anyway, and
can't be cached regardless.
--
Jeremy Stanley