[simplification] Making ask.openstack.org read-only

Ian Wienand iwienand at redhat.com
Tue Aug 18 23:52:47 UTC 2020

On Tue, Aug 18, 2020 at 12:44:43PM +0200, Thierry Carrez wrote:
> I think it's time to pull the plug, make ask.openstack.org read-only (so
> that links to old answers are not lost) and redirect users to the
> mailing-list and the "OpenStack" tag on StackOverflow. I picked
> StackOverflow since it seems to have the most openstack questions (2,574 on
> SO, 76 on SuperUser and 430 on ServerFault).

I agree that this is the most pragmatic approach.

> Thoughts, comments?

*If* we were to restore it now, it looks like 0.11 branch comes with
an upstream Dockerfile [1]; there's lots of examples now in
system-config of similar container-based production sites and this
could fit in.

This makes it significantly easier than trying to build up everything
it requires from scratch, and if upstream keep their container
compatible (a big if...) theoretically less work to keep updated.

But despite the self-hosting story being better in 2020, I agree the
ROI isn't there.

-i

[1] https://github.com/ASKBOT/askbot-devel/blob/0.11.x/Dockerfile