[Ironic] User Survey question

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Mon Aug 10 20:53:26 UTC 2020

On 2020-08-10 22:37:27 +0200 (+0200), timbell wrote:
> Ceph has done something like this with good results -
> https://docs.ceph.com/docs/master/mgr/telemetry/
>
> I think the things that have helped this to be successful are
>
> - easy way to see what you would send
> - option (not the default) to provide more details such as company
>   and contact
[...]

Other prior art which springs to mind:

Debian has provided a popcon tool for ages, as an opt-in means of
periodically providing feedback on what packages are seeing use in
their distro. It's current incarnation can submit reports via SMTP
or HTTP protocols for added flexibility. https://popcon.debian.org/

OpenBSD takes a low-effort approach and suggests a command in their
install guide which the admin can run to send a copy of dmesg output
to the project so they can keep track of what sorts of hardware is
running their operating system out in the wild.
https://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq4.html#SendDmesg

--
Jeremy Stanley