[openstack-community] [infra] Problem with ask.openstack.org

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Fri Aug 7 12:45:15 UTC 2020

On 2020-08-07 18:09:31 +0900 (+0900), Bernd Bausch wrote:
> Sending people to Stackoverflow directly is a good option IMO.
[...]

Yes, ask.openstack.org was originally created for two reasons:

1. We could not keep up with the constant spam load on
forums.openstack.org, but when we wanted to shut it down we kept
hearing that many OpenStack users needed us to provide a Web forum
because they wouldn't/couldn't use E-mail.

2. When we approached Stackexchange/Stackoverflow about getting a
site like Ubuntu had, they said OpenStack was not popular enough
software to warrant that.

OSF originally contracted the author of Askbot to assist in
maintaining the ask.openstack.org site, but his interests eventually
moved on to other endeavors and the site has sat unmaintained
(except for an occasional reboot by community infrastructure team
sysadmins) for a number of years now. At this point it's a
liability, and unless folks are interested in getting it back into a
well-managed state I think we probably have no choice but to phase
it out.
--
Jeremy Stanley