device compatibility interface for live migration with assigned devices

Yan Zhao yan.y.zhao at intel.com
Wed Aug 5 09:33:38 UTC 2020

On Wed, Aug 05, 2020 at 04:02:48PM +0800, Jason Wang wrote:

> On 2020/8/5 下午3:56, Jiri Pirko wrote:

> > > CC Jiri and Parav for a better answer for this.
> > >
> > > My understanding is that the following advantages are obvious (as I replied
> > > in another thread):
> > >
> > > - existing users (NIC, crypto, SCSI, ib), mature and stable
> > > - much better error reporting (ext_ack other than string or errno)
> > > - namespace aware
> > > - do not couple with kobject
> > Jason, what is your use case?
>

> I think the use case is to report device compatibility for live migration.
> Yan proposed a simple sysfs based migration version first, but it looks not
> sufficient and something based on JSON is discussed.
>
> Yan, can you help to summarize the discussion so far for Jiri as a
> reference?

yes.
we are currently defining an device live migration compatibility
interface in order to let user space like openstack and libvirt knows
which two devices are live migration compatible.
currently the devices include mdev (a kernel emulated virtual device)
and physical devices (e.g.  a VF of a PCI SRIOV device).

the attributes we want user space to compare including
common attribues:
    device_api: vfio-pci, vfio-ccw...
    mdev_type: mdev type of mdev or similar signature for physical device
               It specifies a device's hardware capability. e.g.
	       i915-GVTg_V5_4 means it's of 1/4 of a gen9 Intel graphics
	       device.
    software_version: device driver's version.
               in <major>.<minor>[.bugfix] scheme, where there is no
	       compatibility across major versions, minor versions have
	       forward compatibility (ex. 1-> 2 is ok, 2 -> 1 is not) and
	       bugfix version number indicates some degree of internal
	       improvement that is not visible to the user in terms of
	       features or compatibility,

vendor specific attributes: each vendor may define different attributes
   device id : device id of a physical devices or mdev's parent pci device.
               it could be equal to pci id for pci devices
   aggregator: used together with mdev_type. e.g. aggregator=2 together
               with i915-GVTg_V5_4 means 2*1/4=1/2 of a gen9 Intel
	       graphics device.
   remote_url: for a local NVMe VF, it may be configured with a remote
               url of a remote storage and all data is stored in the
	       remote side specified by the remote url.

Comparing those attributes by user space alone is not an easy job, as it
can't simply assume an equal relationship between source attributes and
target attributes. e.g.
for a source device of mdev_type=i915-GVTg_V5_4,aggregator=2, (1/2 of
gen9), it actually could find a compatible device of
mdev_type=i915-GVTg_V5_8,aggregator=4 (also 1/2 of gen9),
if mdev_type of i915-GVTg_V5_4 is not available in the target machine.

So, in our current proposal, we want to create two sysfs attributes
under a device sysfs node.
/sys/<path to device>/migration/self
/sys/<path to device>/migration/compatible

#cat /sys/<path to device>/migration/self
device_type=vfio_pci
mdev_type=i915-GVTg_V5_4
device_id=8086591d
aggregator=2
software_version=1.0.0

#cat /sys/<path to device>/migration/compatible
device_type=vfio_pci
mdev_type=i915-GVTg_V5_{val1:int:2,4,8}
device_id=8086591d
aggregator={val1}/2
software_version=1.0.0

The /sys/<path to device>/migration/self specifies self attributes of
a device.
The /sys/<path to device>/migration/compatible specifies the list of
compatible devices of a device. as in the example, compatible devices
could have
	device_type == vfio_pci &&
	device_id == 8086591d   &&
	software_version == 1.0.0 &&
        (
	(mdev_type of i915-GVTg_V5_2 && aggregator==1) ||
	(mdev_type of i915-GVTg_V5_4 && aggregator==2) ||
	(mdev_type of i915-GVTg_V5_8 && aggregator=4)
	)

by comparing whether a target device is in compatible list of source
device, the user space can know whether a two devices are live migration
compatible.

Additional notes:
1)software_version in the compatible list may not be necessary as it
already has a major.minor.bugfix scheme.
2)for vendor attribute like remote_url, it may not be statically
assigned and could be changed with a device interface.

So, as Cornelia pointed that it's not good to use complex format in
a sysfs attribute, we'd like to know whether there're other good ways to
our use case, e.g. splitting a single attribute to multiple simple sysfs
attributes as what Cornelia suggested or devlink that Jason has strongly
recommended.

Thanks
Yan