[nova] openstack-tox-lower-constraints broken

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Tue Aug 4 12:39:22 UTC 2020

On 2020-08-04 14:26:06 +0200 (+0200), Gorka Eguileor wrote:
[...]
> Looking at one of my patches I see that the right version of
> dogpile.cache==0.6.5 is being installed [1], but then at another step we
> download [2] and install [3] version 1.0.1, and we can see that pip is
> actually complaining that we have incompatibilities [4].
>
> As far as I can see this is because in that pip install we requested to
> wipe existing installed packages [6] and we are not passing any
> constraints in that call.
>
> I don't know why or where we are doing that though.
[...]

Yes, I started digging into this yesterday too. It's affecting all
tox jobs, not just lower-constraints jobs (upper-constraints is
close enough to unconstrained that this isn't immediately apparent
for master branch jobs, but the divergence becomes obvious in stable
branch jobs and it's breaking lots of them). It seems this started
roughly a week ago.

I don't think we're explicitly doing it, this seems to be a behavior
baked into tox itself. Most projects are currently applying
constraints via the deps parameter in their tox.ini, and tox appears
to invoke pip twice: once to install your deps, and then a second
time to install the project being tested. The latter phase does not
use the deps parameter, and so no constraints get applied.

We might be able to work around this by going back to overriding
install_command and putting the -c option there instead, but I
haven't had an opportunity to test that theory yet. If anyone else
has time to pursue this line of investigation, I'd be curious to
hear whether it helps.
--
Jeremy Stanley