[tripleo][ansible] the current action plugins use patterns are suboptimal?

Bogdan Dobrelya bdobreli at redhat.com
Mon Aug 3 12:25:37 UTC 2020

On 8/3/20 12:36 PM, Sagi Shnaidman wrote:
> Hi, Bogdan
>
> thanks for raising this up, although I'm not sure I understand what it
> is the problem with using action plugins.
> Action plugins are well known official extensions for Ansible, as any
> other plugins - callback, strategy, inventory etc [1]. It is not any
> hack or unsupported workaround, it's a known and official feature of
> Ansible. Why can't we use it? What makes it different from filter,

I believe the cases that require the use of those should be justified.
For the given example, that manages containers in a loop via calling a
module, what the written custom callback plugin buys for us? That brings
code to maintain, extra complexity, like handling possible corner cases
in async mode, dry-run mode etc. But what is justification aside of
looks handy?

--
Best regards,
Bogdan Dobrelya,