[all][qa] Gate Status: Legacy jobs testing tempest plugins are failing: [was Re: [tempest] regex failing]

Ghanshyam Mann gmann at ghanshyammann.com
Thu Apr 23 01:48:34 UTC 2020

 ---- On Wed, 22 Apr 2020 17:04:25 -0500 Eric Barrera <ebarrera1211 at gmail.com> wrote ----
 > Hi,
 > I started seeing an error yesterday when doing this command:
 >     tempest UPPER_CONSTRAINTS_FILE=https://releases.openstack.org/constraints/upper/master tox -eall -- baremetal --concurrency=1
 >

 > The specified regex doesn't match with anythingError: InvocationError for command /opt/stack/new/tempest/.tox/tempest/bin/tempest run --regex baremetal --concurrency=1
 >
 > Any ideas how could I resolve this?

This is a little tricky and not the issue on plugins side how it looks like from error message.
I have been fixing this on various place (devstack, grenade, devstack-gate, tempest and some of tempest plugins )
since py2 drop drama started in mid of Ussuri[1].

Tempest & its plugins are installed on virtual env and supposed to test from there so that Tempest and plugins master can
be used for stable jobs or py2 jobs. "venv-tempest" is the venv name we use for Tempest venv so that every place it can
be used to install plugins, configure and run the tests.

devstack setup the venv and installation/configure the Tempest, its plugins  and its all good till now but the problem comes when
other place like grenade or plugins scripts or devstack-gate for legacy jobs start running or configure something in that venv and
end up *recreating* it. *recreating* the venv is the issue which flushes the installed tempest plugins. so that when jobs
try to run the plugins tests it fails with test regex. This is what happening now in the legacy job. devstack-gate running tempest
tests end up recreating the venv.

Why it started recreating the venv even that was fixed earlier[1] is recent change in Tempest tox.ini to use the stable branch
constraint for a new release of Tempest. Once Tempest release the new tag we are supposed to make tox.ini use the master constraint
again - https://review.opendev.org/#/c/721724/.

The window between tox.ini modified to use stable constraint (temporary) till Tempest new release is done and the revert to
modify it back to master constraint caused legacy jobs failing. Window should have been minimal but we faced another
issue on nova-next job which has to be fixed before Tempst release [2].

bring legacy jobs back by tonight.

- https://review.opendev.org/#/c/721724/

[1] https://review.opendev.org/#/q/topic:fix-stable-gate+(status:open+OR+status:merged)
[2] https://review.opendev.org/#/c/721767/