[all] Lower-constraints in some projects broken - update your repos

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Sat Apr 18 15:51:56 UTC 2020

On 2020-04-18 17:22:38 +0200 (+0200), Radosław Piliszek wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 18, 2020 at 5:18 PM Jeremy Stanley <fungi at yuggoth.org> wrote:
> >
> > On 2020-04-18 16:18:24 +0200 (+0200), Radosław Piliszek wrote:
> > > On Sat, Apr 18, 2020 at 2:56 PM Jeremy Stanley <fungi at yuggoth.org> wrote:
> > [...]
> > >
> > > Oh, I mean the lockfile part.
> > > If lower-constraints jobs pass without enforcing each transitive
> > > dependency, then it's not enforced in this way.
> > [...]
> >
> > I wouldn't mind digging into a specific example of this. It seems
> > likely to be one (or more) of:
> > <snip>
>
> Be my guest. The case is about *transitive* dependencies, not direct.
> See the already mentioned kolla-cli change. [1]
> This is what is not enforced (except for Sean's legit -1 :-) ).
>
> [1] https://review.opendev.org/720754

Thanks. So you're asserting that the problem here is that 720754,4
has a passing openstack-tox-lower-constraints build but you think it
should not? Can you explain little more as to why you think it
should have failed?

I see you removing a bunch of package versions from the constraints
list, but that's not what the job is intended to catch. It's there
to find out if tests pass using the versions you're saying you want
installed. If that's the concern, it's like saying a job should fail
if you remove some tests from it. We run jobs to tell us if the
things we want to test work, not to tell us that we've stopped
testing something (coverage jobs being an obvious exception there).

What I would consider a problem with the job is if the constraints
file specified one version of a package but a different version of
that package got installed instead. If *that's* what's happening
(though skimming the logs I don't see any evidence of it) then I
agree something is wrong and we should seek to fix it. I did at
least double-check that the entries you've left in
lower-constraints.txt match those pip installed according to
tox/lower-constraints-1.log so it looks to me like its working as
designed.
--
Jeremy Stanley