[tc] [ironic] Promoting ironic to a top-level opendev project?

Ben Nemec openstack at nemebean.com
Thu Apr 16 15:46:26 UTC 2020

On 4/16/20 3:50 AM, Dmitry Tantsur wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Apr 15, 2020 at 9:55 PM Ben Nemec <openstack at nemebean.com
> <mailto:openstack at nemebean.com>> wrote:
>

>     On 4/7/20 5:15 AM, Dmitry Tantsur wrote:
>      > Hi,
>      >
>      > On Mon, Apr 6, 2020 at 11:06 PM Ben Nemec <openstack at nemebean.com
>     <mailto:openstack at nemebean.com>
>      > <mailto:openstack at nemebean.com <mailto:openstack at nemebean.com>>>
>     wrote:
>      >
>      >     At the risk of getting defensive, I do want to make some points
>      >     relating
>      >     to Oslo specifically here.
>
> <snip>
>
>      >
>      >      > 1) oslo.config is a fantastic piece of software that the whole
>      >     python
>      >      > world could benefit from. Same for oslo.service, probably.
>      >
>      >     oslo.config is an interesting case because there is
>     definitely interest
>      >     outside OpenStack thanks to things like the Castellan config
>     backend,
>      >     but as Doug mentioned oslo.config is heavily opinionated
>     (global config
>      >     object, anyone?) and that's an issue for a lot of people. I
>     will also
>      >     point out that the only oslo.* dependency that oslo.config has is
>      >     oslo.i18n, which itself has no other oslo dependencies, so
>     there's not
>      >     much barrier to entry to using it standalone today.
>      >
>      >
>      > oslo.config currently pulls in 16 dependencies to a clean venv,
>      > including oslo.18n, Babel (why?) and requests (WHY?).
>
>     Well, it's got translated strings and thus i18n, Babel is used for lazy
>     translation, and requests is used for the remote file driver. It's
>     posssible the latter two could/should be optional deps, but without
>     them
>     you do lose functionality.
>

> Please pardon my ignorance, it's the first time I hear about this
> driver? How many people are using it in the wild? Will it hurt much if
> we treat this dependencies similar to database/tooz backend, i.e. as
> optional?

I can't say for sure because we don't have any sort of usage metrics. It
was kind of a stepping stone on the way to the Castellan driver for
keeping secrets out of the on-disk configuration files. If I had to
guess, I would say most people are probably using the Castellan driver
in that scenario.

Either way, making the deps for it optional seems reasonable to me.

[snip]

> I meant changing ironic, which honestly doesn't have real translations
> any more..

Ah, that sounds like a question for the i18n team then.