[qa][devstack] Moving to release specific nodesets and jobs for Fedora

Lee Yarwood lyarwood at redhat.com
Thu Apr 16 09:11:47 UTC 2020

On 15-04-20 06:10:59, Ian Wienand wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 14, 2020 at 10:38:26AM +0100, Lee Yarwood wrote:
> > I'm personally on the fence about this as while it would be nice to have
> > version specific nodesets and jobs it does introduce a lot of churn with
> > each new release of Fedora across many projects:
>
> This was exactly why fedora-latest was introduced; so that on new
> distro releases all those got bumped automatically.  The idea was that
> if you're using Fedora you basically expect a bump to happen for you.
>
> Sometimes we get Fedora updates in within days of release, and other
> times it takes *a lot* longer.  F31 has taken *a lot* longer; because
> it stopped being able to be built on our extant Xenial builder hosts
> because it moved packages to a new form of compression not supported
> by the RPM available there.  Ergo we couldn't extract the rpms to the
> base chroot that everything else builds ontop of.
>
> So basically it got put behind creating/debugging nodepool-builder
> container images, rewriting testing for these container images and
> figuring out how to deploy them to production.  That is done now with
> our nb04 host where Fedora is building now.
>
> We know that the "run other distro tools on the host" approach is
> fragile; using containers isolates us from host changes pretty well
> now, but longer term there's ideas in progress around building up our
> CI images from containers too.

Understood, going off on a slight tangent here but has virt-builder ever
been considered for building these CI images? I appreciate there's a
huge amount of logic built up in the dib elements at this point but I've
always assumed you could inject that into a virt-builder run somehow.

> So I don't feel like we want to go back to having a big pain bumping
> Fedora releases each time; we should hopefully be in a position to
> push out future releases in a much more timely manner.
>
> That said ... Fedora never ceases to surprise!

ACK thanks Ian, I'll close my version specific change out.

Cheers,

--
Lee Yarwood                 A5D1 9385 88CB 7E5F BE64  6618 BCA6 6E33 F672 2D76