[tc] [ironic] Promoting ironic to a top-level opendev project?

Julia Kreger juliaashleykreger at gmail.com
Wed Apr 15 22:46:04 UTC 2020

On Wed, Apr 15, 2020 at 8:41 AM Donny Davis <donny at fortnebula.com> wrote:

[trim]

> I know I am probably going to be lit on fire for this... but anyways here goes it.
>
> Why does anyone care if ironic wants to move to a top level project or not?
> I would think the leaders of this project are most involved in the needs
> of what it's going to take for continued success. If the team that is doing
> the heavy lifting wants something, then I feel it's our position to enable
> success. It looks a lot to me like this is what the people who work on the
> project want (and if you don't have that data maybe poll your own team),
>
> So why the push back?
>
> The resources we do have are clearly dwindling - lets not give people
> any more reasons to leave if we can avoid it. Happiness in what you
> do and where you do it is a thing.
>
> If Ironic wants to move, and it's not damaging to other projects. I think
> we should make that as easy as possible. All the rest seems like a bunch
> of noise.
>
> /donnyd cowers in the corner waiting for blunt objects to be thrown
> --
> ~/DonnyD
> C: 805 814 6800
> "No mission too difficult. No sacrifice too great. Duty First"

No blunt objects shall be thrown as feared! At least on my watch! :)

People care because they are invested in the community as a whole, and
I think the thought of such a major change does bring fear. I think
that is totally natural and honestly I feel the same way. Also at the
same time, I think we risk letting the fear control us. Thus prohibits
us and prevents us from what may be the right direction. In part, that
is also why we need to talk through these things. :)

That is my perception as to why there is push back. Everyone has a
different context, and that brings value to the discussion.