[all] Please remove all external resources from docs

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Thu Apr 9 12:05:21 UTC 2020

Thomas Goirand wrote:
> Hi Guys!
>
> Thanks for participating in this thread. I feel less alone now! :)
>
> On 4/6/20 11:18 PM, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
>> Maybe we
>> could make it easier to have our documentation builds strip that
>> content automatically so that distro package maintainers don't need
>> to?
>
> That'd be really awesome!
>
> On 4/7/20 3:52 PM, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
>> My point was that these badges
>> are mostly only relevant to folks browsing README files in a source
>> code hosting platform, but when the README is embedded into a
>> compiled Sphinx document they seem really out of place and are
>> probably best omitted.
>
> Yes. Not only that. In Debian we consider this a "privacy breach" (see
> below).

If it was just us, I'd say that at this point it's just easier to get
rid of the tag-badge: it brings limited value and also does not "behave"
like individual badges when clicked on.

However I am not sure that would not really solve your problem, as teams
routinely add badges to their README files like the PyPI version badge in:

https://opendev.org/openstack/python-novaclient/src/branch/master/README.rst

So I think the simplest is to automate the removal of external images so
that the result is compliant with Debian packaging. I bet it's a pretty
common packaging problem with all those projects on GitHub using badges
those days?

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)