[all] Please remove all external resources from docs

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Tue Apr 7 13:52:42 UTC 2020

On 2020-04-07 10:47:41 +0100 (+0100), Graham Hayes wrote:
[...]
> It *might* make sense - the info it shows is time dependent, so if
> a project was asserting follows-stable-policy in pike, showing
> that is not necessarily _wrong_ ... Same as if a project was moved
> out of OpenStack in Havana, the docs could show the openstack
> project badge until then.
[...]

Fair, if folks prefer that, then the docs build jobs could require
the governance repo to obtain the requisite metadata and incorporate
the Sphinx extension which generates these SVG images. That still
might be unworkably complicated for downstream packaging in distros
however, since we don't version and release the contents of the
governance repo, so would likely need to start doing that (at least
for the projects.yaml and Sphinx extension) and declare it as a
min-versioned docs build dependency. Seems like a lot of work
compared to just stripping them out. My point was that these badges
are mostly only relevant to folks browsing README files in a source
code hosting platform, but when the README is embedded into a
compiled Sphinx document they seem really out of place and are
probably best omitted.
--
Jeremy Stanley