[tc][oslo] Looking for a Victoria Oslo PTL volunteer

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Tue Apr 7 09:27:22 UTC 2020

Hello everyone,

Nobody stepped up yet to continue the great work of Ben Nemec as PTL of
the Oslo project team. Oslo handles common code between our various
projects, and is key to reduce duplication of code and waste of effort.
Oslo is very critical for OpenStack, as all other projects depend on its
libraries, but can be relatively low-maintenance as most libraries are
feature-complete.

Being the Oslo PTL gives you a great horizontal perspective on
OpenStack, so they are a great opportunity for smaller organizations
that depend on OpenStack to keep track of what's happening and
contribute back, without having to specialize in one of the larger projects.

I suspect Ben can help answer any question on the workload it represents
to be the Oslo PTL.

Getting a new volunteer for Oslo PTL is our preferred solution. In case
the PTL position is just too intimidating and nobody volunteers, the TC
is considering experimenting with a PTL-less form of governance that
would involve only designating two liaisons (a release liaison(s) and a
security liaison(s)). That is the minimal accountability that we require
of an openstack project team (someone(s) signing off releases, and
someone(s) to contact in case of embargoed vulnerabilities). I say
"someone(s)" as ideally multiple people sign up to be a liaison. In that
form of governance, if there is any conflict in the team, the TC can
ultimately arbitrate the conflict, instead of the PTL.

That would be our plan B. So please let us know if you'd be interested
in the Oslo PTL position, or if you'd be OK just for filling the duties
of a specific liaison.

Thanks for considering it!

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)