[tc] [ironic] Promoting ironic to a top-level opendev project?

Arkady.Kanevsky at dell.com Arkady.Kanevsky at dell.com
Tue Apr 7 02:03:46 UTC 2020

After reading this lengthy and enlightening threadI come back to Julia original points.

1. What are the benefits of having Ironic as part of OpenStack vs. having Ironic as part of opendev?
a. I do not buy that people will use Ironic more as standalone. Biforst has been created several years back and was available as standalone Ironic. And it is not widely used.
b. Ironic is used as underpinning to other projects, like Metal3, Airship. And that is with Ironic being part of OpenStack. Can Ironic be improved for easier use outside OpenStack - absolutely? Having better handling of dependencies, like already mentioned Oslo and python will definitely help.
c. Will Ironic be more adapted outside of OpenStack if it part opendev rather than OpenStack? Will be good to have some evidence for it.
2. Does being part of OpenStack slows or impede Ironic growth and adoption? I would argue that being part of OpenDev will provide more opportunities for growth.
3. If Ironic becomes OpenDev project what changes?
a. It will still be under the same governance, unless Ironic community want to create its own governances which will take velocity of developing new features. So expect that the current OpenStack governance rules will stay.
b. Will the gate and other processes change? Do not think so since the current ones work reasonably well.
c. Should Ironic be part of "integrated" openstack release and tested together with rest of openstack? - absolutely. It has a lot of benefit for a openstack community, including all derived distro products.
d. Will Ironic change its release cadence if it is no longer part of OpenStack proper? Ironic is only as good as its underlying drivers. That means that all drivers, that are currently outside of OpenStack governance will have to follow.
e. Will Ironic change the development platform? It currently use devstack.
f. All Ironic documentation follows OpenStack and is part of it.
4. If Ironic leaves OpenStack proper what stops some of the other projects, like Cinder, or Keystone. to leave? That worries me. As it may lead to disintegration of the community and the notion of what OpenStack is. Or it may transition OpenStack to federated model of projects.

So after saying all of it, I am leaning toward cleaning up and simplifying dependencies to make it easier to consume Ironic outside OpenStack, at least for Victoria cycle and revisit it at that cycle end.

Sorry for long stream of conscious.
Arkady