[tc][election] Simple question for the TC candidates

Nikolla, Kristi knikolla at bu.edu
Mon Apr 6 22:25:50 UTC 2020

> On Apr 6, 2020, at 3:45 AM, Jean-Philippe Evrard <jean-philippe at evrard.me> wrote:
>
> On Sun, 2020-04-05 at 20:27 +0000, Nikolla, Kristi wrote:
>>
>> The first, is making sure that OpenStack is approachable to new
>> contributors. This includes more documentation related community
>> goals, which I consider especially important when a lot of people
>> that have been here forever start to move on to new ventures, taking
>> with them a lot of tribal and undocumented knowledge. We have to
>> start being able to do more with less.
>
> I think this maps very well with Kendall's efforts :)
> What do you particularily have in mind?

I do not have an answer to this just yet and I need to think about it longer. The last time we did something radical on docs it broke all links.

>> The second, is investigating avenues for better integration with
>> other open source communities and projects. It's very likely that
>> OpenStack is only one of the many tools in an operators toolbox (eg.,
>> we're also running OpenShift, and our own bare metal provisioner.)
>> Once we have acknowledged those integration points, we can start
>> documenting, testing and developing with those in mind as well. The
>> end result will be that deployers can pick OpenStack, or a specific
>> set of OpenStack components and know that what they are trying to do
>> is possible, is tested and is reproducible.
>
> Does that mean you want to introduce a sample configuration to deploy
> OpenShift on top of OpenStack and do conformance testing, in our jobs?
> Or did I get that wrong? Please note the CI topic maps with other
> candidates' efforts, so I already see future collaboration happening.

It doesn't have to be limited to OpenShift/k8s, but yes.

That would ensure that things work correctly and that we have an actual stake in fixing them if they brake.

Furthermore, once the testing template is available, projects can start including in their project gates and start developing features with the broader datacenter in mind as well.

See Mohammed's response about actually making Kubernetes a base service.