[all] Please remove all external resources from docs

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Mon Apr 6 21:18:28 UTC 2020

On 2020-04-06 17:12:30 +0200 (+0200), Thomas Goirand wrote:
> I've wrote about this earlier I guess, but I believe I need to do it
> once more. Often I see in the docs things like this:
>
> .. image:: https://governance.openstack.org/tc/badges/<FOO>.svg
>     :target: https://governance.openstack.org/tc/reference/tags/index.html
[...]
> The solution is simple: have the resource being *LOCAL* (ie: stored in
> the project's doc), not stored on an external site.
[...]

I'm not a fan of this "feature" myself, but feel compelled to point
out that it's intentionally dynamic content dependent on metadata
from another repository which is intended to change at different
times than the document itself changes, so including a copy of that
file would make little sense. It's entirely there so that projects
can have the same feel-good "badges" which they see displayed in the
README files of other projects on GitHub. It exists purely so that
real-time RST-to-HTML renderers will display the current state of a
number of bits of governance metadata, so stripping those out of
packaged documentation builds is the right thing to do. Maybe we
could make it easier to have our documentation builds strip that
content automatically so that distro package maintainers don't need
to?
--
Jeremy Stanley