[ironic][release] List cycle-with-intermediary deliverables that have not been released yet

Sean Mooney smooney at redhat.com
Mon Apr 6 19:50:07 UTC 2020

On Mon, 2020-04-06 at 13:28 -0500, Sean McGinnis wrote:
> [...]
for what its worth i was suprised with the requirement to make more then one
release with the cycle-with-intermediary cycle too.
i orginally tought when os-vif moved to it we could make intermediat release if we
wanted too not that we were required to make them at each milestone.

looking at the text
https://github.com/openstack/releases/blob/35595343ddba5db598a80ce9238df28f27c43a14/doc/source/reference/release_models.rst#cycle-with-intermediary

The "cycle-with-intermediary" model describes projects that produce multiple full releases during the development cycle,
with a final release to match the end of the cycle.

    "cycle-with-intermediary" projects commit to produce a release near the end of the 6-month development cycle to be
used with projects using the other cycle-based release models that are required to produce a release at that time.
    Release tags for deliverables using this tag are reviewed and applied by the Release Management team.

im not actully sure where that requirem of 1 relase per miles stone came from but we were told to do it by
the release team so we do.

releaes are relitvely cheap so its not a burden to do this but as we did between m2 and non clinet lib freeze
we often have period where we dont need to do a release yet or we would prefer to wait for a patch to merge which
we expect to merge a few days out after a milestone and its has been annoying to have to release a milestone release
under the cycle-with-intermediary release model in those cases. if there was a corss poject depency i have just asked
for a release a day or two later when the patch i was waiting for merged if waited to the next milestoen if it was an
internal fix.

its also possible that the reqirements for a release at each milestone was misscomunicated for
cycle-with-intermediary but since it has happened at 2 or 3 times i now just assume its required even if its not
documented as such.