choosing object storage

Pete Zaitcev zaitcev at redhat.com
Mon Apr 6 19:04:10 UTC 2020

On Mon, 6 Apr 2020 18:47:36 +1200
Mark Kirkwood <mark.kirkwood at catalyst.net.nz> wrote:

> There are a number of considerations (disclaimer we run Ceph block and
> Swift object storage): [...]

Mark, could you provide some numbers for cluster size, number of objects
and the rate of change for both Ceph and Swift? I imagine some of it
may be proprietary, but perhaps the rate of ingestion is available?
E.g. Swift is NN% today, Ceph is MM%, rate of growth is XX%?

Last time we have Summit presentation on the topic, it was by San Diego
Supercomputing Center.

Last time I saw anyone publish their Swift data at all, it was Turkcell
who had a 36PB cluster and planned to grow it to 50PB by end of 2019.
They started that cluster in Icehouse release with 250GB drives!

Thanks,
-- Pete