[goals][Drop Python 2.7 Support] Week R-6 Update

Pavlo Shchelokovskyy pshchelokovskyy at mirantis.com
Fri Apr 3 09:41:46 UTC 2020

On Thu, Apr 2, 2020 at 5:53 AM Ghanshyam Mann <gmann at ghanshyammann.com>
wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
>
> Below is the progress on "Drop Python 2.7 Support" at end of R-6 week.
>
> Schedule:
> https://governance.openstack.org/tc/goals/selected/ussuri/drop-py27.html#schedule
>

> Highlights:
> ========
> * This is very close to mark as complete.
> *  We merged many of charm repo patches and few more projects.
> * Few ansible repo failing on centos7 and waiting for migration on centos8
> *  I tried to reach out to team for pending patches.
>
> Project wise status and need reviews:
> ============================
> Phase-1 status:
> All the OpenStack services have dropped the python2.7.
>
> Phase-2 status:
>
> * Pending Tempest plugins:
> ** cyborg-tempest-plugin: https://review.opendev.org/#/c/704076/
> ** kuryr-tempest-plugin: https://review.opendev.org/#/c/704072/
>
> * Pending pythonclient:
> ** python-barbicanclient: https://review.opendev.org/#/c/699096/2
> *** gate is already broken waiting for gate to be fixed.
> ** python-zaqarclient: https://review.opendev.org/#/c/692011/4
> ** python-tripleoclient: https://review.opendev.org/#/c/703344
>
> * Few more repo patches need to merge:
> ** masakari-specs: https://review.opendev.org/#/c/698982/
> ** cyborg-specs: https://review.opendev.org/#/c/698824/
> ** nova-powervm: https://review.opendev.org/#/c/700683/
> ** paunch: https://review.opendev.org/#/c/703344/
>
> * Started pushing the required updates on deployment projects.
>
> ** Completed or no updates required:
> *** Openstack-Chef - not required
> *** Packaging-Rpm - Done
> *** Puppet Openstack- Done
> *** Tripleo - except python client, all is done.
>
> ** In progress:
> *** Openstack Charms - Most of them merged, few failing on func job.
> debugging.
> *** Openstackansible - In-progress. centos7 jobs are failing on few
> projects.
>
> ** Waiting from projects team to know the status:
> *** Openstack-Helm (Helm charts for OpenStack services)

Disclaimer: I am not a part of the openstack-helm team/community in the
full sense of it,
so these are my personal thoughts on the OpenStack-Helm vs Py3

OpenStack-Helm is a bit odd here:
- it does not have stable branches
- it has single (very ancient, 3 years ago) tag of 0.1.0
- it still supports (as in deploys on CI) Ocata

Given community goal of "Python3 first" was targeting and completed in
Stein, I don't think that openstack-helm should drop support of Python2 in
their startup/readiness/liveness and other scripts unless they are willing
to drop support of OpenStack releases earlier that Stein and demand images
built on Py3 exclusively - and AFAICT they don't.

Best regards,
Pavlo.