[tc] [ironic] Promoting ironic to a top-level opendev project?

Jean-Philippe Evrard jean-philippe at evrard.me
Fri Apr 3 07:43:04 UTC 2020

On Thu, 2020-04-02 at 13:15 -0700, Julia Kreger wrote:

> I believe it is ultimately up to the active contributors to the
> project as a whole in terms of splitting, and I guess that should be
> put to a vote at some point. Last time we polled among the cores
> about
> a ?year? ago upon revisiting an ask for us to consider working
> towards
> becoming a top level project, it was 50/50. Given everyone's
> comments,
> I'm fairly sure there would not be agreement to move forward.

I wholeheartily agree with the fact it's up to the active contributors.

I just hope that if/when the move is done, it's a positive effort, and
everyone had the required elements to decide. I can't tell for the
other answers in this thread, but for me, I want to ask the difficult
questions to make sure we have done everything that's right :)

Let me rephrase that: If the Ironic community wants to split, let it
be! I am not against the split by itself. I won't ask to stay if
everybody wants to leave the boat. My intent is not to be a warden,
because OpenStack isn't a prison :)

I just love playing Devil's advocate. In this case, I am particularily
interested, because I just genuinely care, and I am trying to think at
the ecosystem level, not only at a project level. I try to understand
how I can help Ironic grow, while helping the other projects too. I
hope I am not the only one responding with that kind of view. It seems
ironic has a few ideas on how to improve its standalone identity
forward that doesn't seem needing to split out of OpenStack... I am
just questioning whether the split out needs to happen now, or maybe
phased afterwards.

> Maybe out of this, as a community, we could have a serious discussion
> of perceptions and headaches, but given our tendency to try and
> create
> process and tools for issues that are fundamentally related to
> humans... I am unsure.

That's totally fair. I think we need to simplify openstack futher. Be
the bazaar, not the Cathedral.

Regards,
JP