[tc] [ironic] Promoting ironic to a top-level opendev project?

Lingxian Kong anlin.kong at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 00:46:20 UTC 2020

I see we are talking about another "Gnocchi", when Gnocchi moved out of
OpenStack, people said they could run Gnocchi in standalone mode without
installing the other OpenStack services, then they changed default
dependency of some other projects (Ceilometer, Panko, etc) to Gnocchi.
As a result, they are all dead (or almost dead).

Another example is a long time ago in one OpenStack project, there was a
demand for secret management, people said, Barbican is not mature and
not production ready yet, we shouldn't dependent on Barbican but could
make it optional, as a result, Barbican never adopted in the project in
real deployment.

I have been involved in OpenStack community since 2013, I see people
came and left, I see projects created and died, until now, there are
only a few of projects alive and actively maintained. IMHO, as a
community, we should try our best to integrate projects with each other,
no project can live well without some others help, projects rarely
stand or fall alone.

Well, I'm not part of TC, I'm not the person or team can decide how
Ironic project goes in this situation. But as a developer who is trying
very hard to maintain several OpenStack projects, that what I'm
thinking.

My 0.02.

-
Best regards,