[swift] Changing the name of an existing policy (in particular Policy-0)

Clay Gerrard clay.gerrard at gmail.com
Mon Sep 30 16:32:38 UTC 2019

On Sun, Sep 29, 2019 at 11:45 PM Mark Kirkwood <
mark.kirkwood at catalyst.net.nz> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We are looking at introducing extra policies to a Swift cluster that was
> built essentially policy unaware (Swift 2.3). So currently all our
> containers live in policy id 0 (with name of 'Policy-0'). We would like
> to rename this so that the likes of 'swift stat' give a more human
> readable name to this policy (e.g 'Default' or 'All-Regions'). Doing
> some experimentation it looks like this is safe - but I'm asking here to
> check that I have not missed anything that would nuke the cluster....
>
> Note we are *not* wanting to meddle with the policy id number.

Yup, no real risk of changing of the name!

... other than if some clients were used to using it, and you're worried
about that bit you could keep "Policy-0" around as an alias:

https://docs.openstack.org/swift/latest/overview_policies.html#defining-a-policy

-Clay