Release Cycle Observations

Donny Davis donny at fortnebula.com
Thu Sep 26 13:38:20 UTC 2019

As many of you know I am fairly new to public participation in Openstack,
but I am a long time lurker and operator. This is my first cycle and I
wanted to capture an observation on the release cycle of Openstack. *this
is only an observation for discussion*

Over the last week or so I have watch people just about kill themselves to
get features into Openstack for this release. Everyone in this community
appears to be giving it their all. And way to go everyone for pushing so
hard. Seriously!

So this brings me to my observation.

Can the release cycle be modified to ease this push at the end? I think
what we all want is a smooth and steady stream of features and bug fixes,
but a 6 month release cycle seems to do directly the opposite. Also if
everyone has gate issues at the end of the cycle, is it the gate or the
cycle? The gate seemed to work fine early on...

Maybe if we went to a Major / Minor release sort of system we could remove
some burden to *get that feature into X release* and we could steady out
that flow of features / bug fixes.  Maybe something like a 9 month major,
one month minor release cycle. It would also probably help with  micro api
versioning.

I am sure the more experienced developers here can highlight pros / cons,
etc of all of the release types.

Just a thought. Tell me yours.

~/DonnyD