[ironic] Tips on testing custom hardware manager?

Jason Anderson jasonanderson at uchicago.edu
Thu Sep 19 01:34:42 UTC 2019

Hi all,

I am hoping to get some tips on how to test out a custom hardware manager. One of my colleagues is working on a project that involves implementing a custom in-band cleaning step, which we are implementing by creating our own ramdisk image that includes an extra library, which is necessary for the clean step. We already have created the image and ensured it has IPA installed and that all seems to work fine (in that, it executes on the node and we see our code running--and failing!)

The issue we are having is that we encounter some issues in our fully integrated environment (such as the provisioning network having different networking rules) and replicating this environment in some local development context is very difficult. Right now our workflow is really onerous as a result: my colleague has to rebuild the ramdisk image, re-upload it to Glance, update the test Ironic node to reference that image, then perform a rebuild. One cycle of this takes a while as you can imagine. I was wondering: is it possible to somehow interrupt or give a larger window for some interactive debugging? The amount of time we have to run some quick tests/debugging is small because the deploy will time out and cancel itself or it will proceed and fail.

Thusfar I haven't found any documentation or written experience on this admittedly niche task. Perhaps somebody has already gone down this road and can advise on some tips? It would be much appreciated!

Cheers,

--
Jason Anderson

Chameleon DevOps Lead
Consortium for Advanced Science and Engineering, The University of Chicago
Mathematics & Computer Science Division, Argonne National Laboratory