[tripleo] Deprecating paunch CLI?

Bogdan Dobrelya bdobreli at redhat.com
Tue Sep 17 08:57:09 UTC 2019

On 16.09.2019 18:07, Emilien Macchi wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 16, 2019 at 11:47 AM Rabi Mishra <ramishra at redhat.com
> <mailto:ramishra at redhat.com>> wrote:
>
>     I'm not sure if podman as container tool would move in that
>     direction, as it's meant to be a command line tool. If we really
>     want to reduce the overhead of so many layers in TripleO and podman
>     is the container tool for us (I'll ignore the k8s related
>     discussions for the time being), I would think theĀ  logic of
>     translating the JSON configs to podman calls should be be in ansible
>     (we can even write a TripleO specific podman module).
>

> I think we're both in strong agreement and say "let's convert paunch
> into ansible module".

I support the idea of calling paunch code as is from an ansible module.
Although I'm strongly opposed against re-implementing the paunch code
itself as ansible modules. That only brings maintenance burden (harder
will be much to backport fixes into Queens and Train) and more place for
potential regressions, without any functional improvements.

--
Best regards,
Bogdan Dobrelya,