[dev] [glance] proposal for S3 store driver re-support as galnce_store backend

Brian Rosmaita rosmaita.fossdev at gmail.com
Fri Sep 13 15:36:20 UTC 2019

On 9/11/19 6:25 AM, Naohiro Sameshima wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I know that glance_store had supported S3 backend until version
> OpenStack Mitaka,
> and it has already been removed due to lack of maintainers [1][2].
>
> I started refactoring the S3 driver to work with version OpenStack Stein
> and recently completed it.
> (e.g. Add Multi Store Support,  Using the latest AWS SDK)
>
> So, it would be great if glance_store could support the S3 driver again.
>
> However, I'm not familiar with the procedure for that.
>
> Would it be possible to discuss this?

>From what I've heard, there's a revival of interest in the S3 driver, so
it's great that you've decided to work on it.  You've missed the Train
for this cycle, however, (sorry, I couldn't resist) as the final release
for nonclient libraries was last week.

The easiest way to discuss getting S3 support into Usurri would be at
the weekly Glance meeting on Thursdays at 1400 UTC.  You can put an item
on the agenda:

https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/glance-team-meeting-agenda

If that's not good for your time zone, you can continue the discussion
with the Glance community on this mailing list.

Basically, what will have to happen is you'll propose a spec or
spec-lite for glance_store (see [0]; Abhishek can tell you which one
he'll prefer).  The key issues will be finding a committed maintainer
(you?) and a testing strategy.  Once that's figured out, it's just a
matter of putting up a patch with your code and getting it reviewed and
approved.  (Just a quick reminder that one way to facilitate getting
your code reviewed is to review other people's code.)

cheers,
brian

[0] https://docs.openstack.org/glance/latest/contributor/blueprints.html